percutaneous pinning

I realized I better post this sooner rather than later – I don’t want anyone thinking something went wrong!

Because it didn’t.. my surgeon said everything went just like they planned. I actually have a very strong femur and very strong bones.. it just happens to be that the femoral neck, while strong, is not normal. They did biopsy the area that they are thinking is FD, but until the biopsy results come back, it is just the working diagnosis.ย 

I asked my mom to help with photos, and she definitely had no problem with that! My mom takes more pictures than anyone I know. LOL – I’m sure you’ve seen someone retake the SAME photo about 30 times to get it just right.. well, she’s one of those someones. I’ll take you from start to finish in Sperly style.. ๐Ÿ˜€


Packing up my overnight bag. For once, I didn’t forget anything major! Btw.. you guys like the haircut? This isn’t the greatest photo of it.. but I LOVE having short hair again!


Please ignore the rather large smudge taking over the table. As you can see.. my mom and I came prepared. I actually didn’t bring thatย much.. most of what’s filling my bag is my pillow and teddy. (Yes.. I am in college. And I sleep with a Teddy bear.) We left the house at 5:00 am because we had to be there by 6:00, hence the face on my face.ย 


Oh the joy of the self timer. Haha I think we took 10 of these. This is pre-op, after I got my IV in and everything. I’ve had blood drawn plenty of times, and have never been told my veins were too small. Wellll judging by the multiple attempts to get an IV in me, I guess I’ll agree.. my veins are small! The guy gave up on trying to get it in my hand, and just put it in my forearm.

ย dscn1746

Talking to my dad and sister right before I went in to surgery. They were driving back from Michigan, and roads were TERRIBLE. My sister graduated the night before from U of Michigan.. and now she’s home!


Post-op.. after I had moved from the recovery room up to the 8th floor. Room 828.. which I didn’t leave for a solid 24 hours! I was so curious about what was out there, since my mom kept coming and going and I could hear other people or their machines beeping away.. I did eventually get to leave thank goodness ๐Ÿ˜‰


Uuuugh gross picture. But I was in the hospital, so what ย can you do. I said I’d blog from there since I’d have so much free time, but honestly, I just slept.. a LOT. Plus the wireless was really shotty there so I couldn’t even connect the majority of the time. Sorry!


Hahah I am such a coffee snob. I couldn’t have any coffee before surgery obviously, so this was the first coffee I had, a WHOLE DAY later. The coffee they brought on the tray wasn’t even like Folger’s.. it was belowย Folger’s. (No offense to any Folger’s drinkers.. but that’s what working in a coffee shop does to you!) There was a little Starbucks cart down in the cafe (or so I’m told.. I never got to venture that far) so when my mom went to go get coffee (yes, she’s a coffee snob too), I asked if she would get me one. And get me one she did – it was BIG! I guess I’m just used to splitting it up into two mugs.. but that size looked so big! After this I definitely was in a much better mood.. ๐Ÿ˜€


And here is me, in my better post-coffee mood. It was also nice to be able to put a real shirt on, and underwearย (gasp!!). I’m thinking I also had Vicodin a little before this.. because believe me, that smile was not permanent.ย 


Going over the PT exercises that I have to do. This lady was super nice, and she said I did so well with getting up and getting around that I didn’t have to stay for my 2nd PT appointment. Cleared!


Crutches? Hmm.. where have I seen thoseย before?


Finally! Venturing out of room 828! All of about 30 feet down the hall and back, but still, seeing the “outside” was fabulous. No prob. with the crutches.. I’ve been a master at those for a good minute. ๐Ÿ˜‰


Practicing stairs.. unfortunately we have a whole lot more stairs in our house than these two little dinky ones, but I’ve been managing them alright. These PT rooms remind me of the play rooms in my mom’s school for the little kids – I used to LOVE going to work with her just to play in there!


Before checking out, remember to have your IV removed! And that face is not a yawn, it’s an “oh shit that tape hurts!” Also in that photo are my meds.. I am currently taking Vistaril and Norco (Vicodin), alternating every two hours. The morphine that they had in my IV gave me a KILLER headache, so bad that it made me nauseous, and then they had to give me a nausea medication which just made it worse.. lol it was bad.ย 

So, like I said, the surgeons said the procedure was very successful. I have three pins screwed through my femoral neck, and those should be good and strong for a long time to come. They had to cut through some of the muscles along the outside of my hip, which they sewed (is that the right word?) back together just fine, but it has made my entire left side of my thigh sore and bruised feeling. I am managing the pain OK by staying on top of my medications, but yesterday and today definitely hurt. The doctor said these would be the worst two days, and then it will get better from here. I’m counting on that because even with medication, it definitely hurts right now.

I can’t take a shower till FRIDAY (uugh) but my mom washed my hair in the sink for me this morning, and finally I feel CLEAN! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am just taking things day by day, knowing that it will get better and easier. Don’t laugh.. but I’ve ALWAYS wanted to ride one of those power carts at the grocery store and Target and stuff. My mom and I are going to CostCo tonight to fulfill my dream. Hopefully I will never again have a legitimate reason to use one, and least not any time soon!ย 

Annnnd, my sister and her BF and my dad are back! Even though my dad’s not staying here it’s just really good to see him and give him a hug. I’m taking advantage of all this down time – I got some good xmas stuff done yesterday (no details.. family reads!) and am getting more done today. But for now my friends, I feel like I should sign off. The Vistaril makes me super drowzy, and I guess it’s hitting hard. I legit keep closing my eyes like every 3 sentences.ย 

Thank you everyone for all your support. I am so glad I didn’t delete this blog all the 100 times I have come so close! Thannnk you x 1,000,000!



17 Responses

  1. I am SO SO SO happy to hear all went well!!!!

  2. Fantastic news! You are so brave! Keeping you in prayer and hoping you enjoy the holidays with your family!

    (Lauren is home from school today because it’s a “Snow Day” and she says to tell you “Hi!” :0) )

    Tanya and Lauren (MAS/FD)

  3. yay for everything going so well! ive been constantly checking your blog for this update haha.

  4. Wow!! intense! so glad your mom is there with you ๐Ÿ™‚

  5. Congrats on the successful surgery!

  6. So glad to see that the surgery went well! Take it easy and focus on recovery, Sperly =)

  7. Hey girl! I read your comment to day on my blog…I was so touched. You know, God leads us down roads sometimes that we ask, “why?” But we have to remember that His plan, and His will are perfect. There are some things we are not meant to understand. But I DO know that we will come out on the other side, stronger and better because of it. Everytime I think, “Ugh! I have to do this for a YEAR?”, I tell myself, “It’s only a year. What a small time frame in comparison to the rest of my life!” And when the time frame is over, whether it is a year or 6 weeks, we will look back and say, “That wasn’t so bad! And now it is over!! I made it!”

    I have no doubt that you will feel the same way. You are head over heels above others who have had your procedure. You are so strong already…and that’s already a point in your favor! You will be up and running in no time!!

    I so know what you’re talking about with the whole reading about running and such. When I was recovering from surgery, if I was talking to one of my sisters and asked her what she was doing and she would respond with “Oh, nothing, just got done working out.” I would feel SO SAD! I mean, like, depressed. I finally just asked them not to tell me when they had worked out! Ha! And still, if I’m having a wiped out day and I read about someone else’s “good run,” I am quietly sad. So I completely understand you on this!

    So borrow all my “good vibes” you like. I love your pics from the hospital! I will definitely be adding you to my must-reads! Rest and recover, sweetie!

  8. SO glad to read that everything went smoothly. I posted on the RW forums that I actually had a dream the night of your surgery that you and I were running around a Wal Mart.

    Yes that is incredibly weird.

    Hope things continue to go well!

  9. such a fighter!! great to hear from ya, sperly ๐Ÿ™‚ all the best!!!

  10. SPERLY HAS RETURNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I’m so glad it went well!!!

    And I sleep with a stuffed animal too. Mine’s a cat. And I’m 24. Ain’t no thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

    And your moms is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! That one picture makes her look a little like the mom in Home Alone. Except yours is prettier and thinner I think.

    And surgical tape HURTS. And you were sutured back together. Not sewn…or however it’s spelled, but it’s esentially the same. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I’m pretty sure you were sutured.

    Thanks for posting!!! I’ve been thinking about you lots!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

  11. I am so glad to hear that all went well – I was thinking about you!! Keep us posted – and I’m very glad you’re still blogging, too ๐Ÿ™‚

  12. Hey Erika, I have been reading your blog for awhile. Your running has always inspired me! I am glad the surgery went well and I hope it heals quick. You will be back to running before you know it! ๐Ÿ™‚

  13. Awwwww, so glad to hear you are home and recovering! It made me tear up just reading your blog and thinking about what it must have been like. You are handling everything really well and have a great attitude. And you look so cute in bed w/ your teddy! Good luck w/ your recovery and I’ll be thinking about you ๐Ÿ™‚

  14. Erika, I’m so glad to hear it went well! You’re doing great. ๐Ÿ™‚ I knew you’d rock that surgery! I’ll be thinking of you during your recovery.

  15. Erika!! Omg, those hospital photos scare me. Glad everything went well though….femoral neck…cut through muscles…ouch! So sorry you have to go through so much!

    No please don’t delete your blog! I’d be so sad!

  16. hey erika! i just finished catching up on your blog, and all i can say is that you are one strong woman:) every runner that i know has struggled with the lows and celebrated the highs; this is a low, for sure, but you will come back stronger and more motivated than ever. plus, you will learn a lot, and you will learn how to read the rhythms of your body even better. after years and years of injuries, i finally came to peace with the fact that i will never be able to run twice a day or even every day, but that i can still work to maximize my potential.

    you are so tough and amazing, erika! keep your head high and your spirit energized.

  17. […] Actually.. it’s sort of scary – everything is happening basically a year in parallel. I had surgery last December, and healed/rehabbed, or so I thought, started training for TC in July.. and found out about the […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: